Awesome Miner requires network access to miners in order to make a connection and request information. Remote networks often are protected by a firewall or router while the miners on the remote network only have local IP addresses. There are two solutions to handle this scenario.
Recommended: VPN (Virtual Private Network)
A Virtual Private Network is the most secure way of connecting to remote networks. There are many ways of setting up VPN networks, where both routers and software solutions are available.
Awesome Miner is not aware of any VPN network existance, but if available it will be used. From an Awesome Miner point of view, a network connection must be possible to establish to the miners, and it's up to the network configuration to make this possible.
Software VPN solutions
Hamanchi LogMeIn can be used to setup a virtual network between different sites, making it possible to access all computers/miners on the different networks as if they would be on the same local network. Please read this article how to setup Hamachi for GPU mining scenarios where you can run the Hamachi client on each mining computer.
NeoRouter is another alternative that is free to use for up to 256 devices.
Secondary alternative: Configure port forwarding
This alternative may not be secure unless correctly configured.
The router on the remote network can be configured to allow port forwarding of requests from Awesome Miner to the miners on the network behind the router.
The steps will be illustrated with an example. Let's assume the following conditions where Awesome Miner will connect to two Antminers:
- Antminer #1: Running on remote network with internal IP 10.105.1.11.
- Antminer #2: Running on remote network with internal IP 10.105.1.12.
- The remote Antminers are connected to a router with external IP 18.104.22.168
- Awesome Miner is running on your local computer with external IP 22.214.171.124
All Antminers listen on TCP port 4028 by default. The remote router must be configured with the following forwarding rules, where the ports 10001 and 10002 can be changed to any available port:
- Forward incoming requests for port 10001 to 10.105.1.11:4028 (Antminer #1)
- Forward incoming requests for port 10002 to 10.105.1.12:4028 (Antminer #2)
- Optionally: If possible in the router configuration, only enable the rules above for connections from 126.96.36.199 (your computer running Awesome Miner)
Configure Awesome Miner to connect to the following two Antminers, where 188.8.131.52 is the public IP of the router on the remote network. Follow the External Miner Wizard steps for each of the miners to add. Enter the following information in the wizard:
- Description: Antminer #1
Remote host: 184.108.40.206:10001
- Description: Antminer #2
Remote host: 220.127.116.11:10002